Sunday, November 15, 2009

Chess- It is Easier Than You Think!

My six year old asked for a chess game. He said he played at summer camp. It was at the dollar store, so we bought it. He begged to play. I have never played chess and have always been intimidated by the idea of chess. The rules were not all that complicated for the basic moves. You have to remember what is what and how they are allowed to move, but other than that, playing with a six year old was easy. But I was not sure if we were playing correctly so I went online to an online chess site and read the rules and learned we were not playing right. The site had lots of nice graphics of what pieces could do. Then I went played the computer and got a few more ideas. There are parts I do not get exactly, but I think I have a basic understanding. That is until I play someone other than the computer or a six year old.

By the way, my four year old memorized the set up after one game. Maybe chess does make them smarter. I definitely see a strategist in my son and that is great! It is truly a thinking game, except for the four year old! She just wants to capture the pieces and put them in the jail so they cannot talk to each other! :)

0 comments: